Sunday, October 17, 2010

FACEBOOK: Social or Professional...OR Can it be Both?

The other day I was working at HIPPE with the slowest computer EVER!!! This computer would only let me type a single word ever five minutes.  So I decided to take out my iPod and visit the infamous Facebook.  After several minutes of catching up on the world I once knew before school started, I remembered a news report I had heard several weeks ago.  The news discussed how doctors were using Facebook to connect with patients.  You may be thinking how great this is, doctors and patients connecting on a personal level… But is this great? Does it abide by HIPPA? And is anyone documenting what they’re saying to each other back and forth????  These are just some of my questions.

Personally, I have learned NOT to use a social network to connect with people in my profession who really aren’t my friends because it can backfire.   When is a patient considered a friend and no longer a client?  Doctors are not only using Facebook as a way to connect on a more personal level with their patients, but they’re also using it to distribute medical information.  Personally, I find that splendid that a doctor would take his/her time to update patients on information.  Some doctors take distribution of general medical information a step farther.  By this, I mean that some doctors actually hold Q & A’s on their profile and talk about common questions their patients ask about during visits.  There is a thin boundary between distributing general medical information and personal information. 

What were to happen if a doctor saw a female patient with herpes, and right after she left his office he goes on his Facebook profile and posts a status update about reminding people to be cautious of sexually transmitted infections (STIs).  As this women walks out of his office, another patient in the waiting room sees the update and automatically believes Dr. Social is talking about her.  Using Facebook in a professional matter may not be the best idea for any career.  Medical professionals need to be very cautious on what they say about medical cases because it is easy to slip and violate HIPPA. 

Although Facebook can be used as a professional network, it is still looked at as a social network.  Ironically, socializing about medical issues can help deliver a cure even without a doctor.  For instance, last year during finals I was sitting in my room studying while going crazy and itching EVERYWHERE!  I thought stress was tarring me apart as I broke out into the itchiest rash I have ever had.  As I procrastinated, I went on my Facebook account and typed something along the lines “I CAN’T STOP ITCHING” on my profile.  This may not have been the smartest idea after viewing many of the horrific comments I received from ‘friends.’  BUT, one comment from a close friend said “me two!”  It was then we both realized why we were both ridiculously itchy.  It had nothing at all to do with stress.  The past week, it was Thanksgiving, so we decided to give ‘thanks’ by help cleaning out a park.  The park decided to give ‘thanks’ back by giving us the gift of allergic dermatitis from the plants we touched.  We both ended up receiving a steroidal cream and an antihistamine to take care of the problem.  If I had not posted this status on Facebook, the problem would have persisted longer because the doctor I visited proscribed me a medication for scabies….AND IT WAS NOTHING LIKE SCABIES!!!

In the end, it is really up to the patient whether they are ‘ok’ with their personal information being shared.  Doctors need to be cautious what they post and need to continue to abide by professional regulations.  Just remember, if you think you may be revealing too much personal information, you probably are, SO DON’T POST IT!


No comments:

Post a Comment