Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Post Order Chaos

I recently decided to look back at all my blogs I have currently written and I realized something!  If I were an average individual reading my posts I would think this writer is all over the place!!!!! I wrote my posts in the order that I noticed different aspects of informatics in the hospital, but these topics definitely do not reflect the way an individual should learn about the topics I posted.  If you are new to pharmacy, I suggest that you at least read the following posts in this order:

  1. What is informatics?
  2. The Amazing MPI
  3. DOSEEDGE
  4. Pyxis
  5. Nurse-to-Pharmacy communication

[All of the articles are independent factors of the pharmacy that don’t require any real sequential reading….as of right now ;-)]

If you have not read my posts already, I highly suggest that you read the previous ones in this order so you can understand how all of these functions intertwine. BUTTTTTT…. If you have already read them, please let me explain why they should be read in this order so I can clarify any loose ends.

 First of all, to understand anything about my posts, you must minimally acknowledge that something such as informatics does exist.  Since the post above specifically deal with the pharmacy, posts 2-5 is the general order things would actually occur.  Post 2 and 3 are similar in the fact that this is where everything starts depending on what medication is needed (FYI-there is also a unit dosing machine for oral liquids that I have not discussed). It explains what unit dosing is and how it’s able to happen.  Post 4 enables you, the reader, to have a more visual understanding of why we unit dose in the hospital.  In post 4, I did not fully explain that the Pyxis provides patient specific information.  In post 5, I also did not fully explain the aspects of communication the pilot system allows.  The image below was illustrated on post 5, but unless you zoom in, you probably did not read it.


Hopefully you now see how posts 4 and 5 relate.  A lot of the communication that is delivered through the pilot system is due to the medication not being available in the Pyxis.  At HIPPE, like other hospital pharmacies, we’re still developing. Since the Pyxis system is relatively new and it’s currently being adjusted to better suit individual hospital sections, we are striving to reach the goal of storing 90% of the needed medications in the Pyxis.  Until this 90% occurs, the notifications sent in though the pilot program will have a high influx rate of out of Pyxis notifications.

I hope I clarified any confusion I may have caused, but to be quite frank, I’m no expert in the field of pharmacy OR informatics, and since I’m still learning myself,  I cannot post things in a more sensible order if I don’t know they exist.  Please take your time in continuing reading my blogs so we can learn about pharmacy informatics together!

No comments:

Post a Comment